The usual suspects, appliances (water heaters, refrigerators, and air conditioning units), clogged or stopped up pipes and drains and damaged roofs can cause major water damage to a business and even halt business operations.
- 14,000 people in the U.S. experience a water damage emergency at home or work each day
- 250 Gallons can leak from a 1/8 inch pipe crack in 24 hours.
- Average cost to fix water damage from faulty plumbing: $17,250
- Average cost of a water damage insurance claim: $6,969
- Water damage accounts for over 20% of all reported property loss
- 93% of all water damage could have been prevented
The Possible Costs
Depending on how the water damage occurred, the damages may not be covered by your insurance.
- Damage from floods is not covered by private insurance, so businesses must purchase their own flood policy from the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Even that does not cover,
- Financial losses due to interruption of the business
- Damage to things outside of the building like landscaping, decks, walls, swimming pools, hot tubs
- Valuable items such as currency, precious metals, or stock certificates.
- Replacement and repairs of equipment, furniture, sales, manufacturing, important files
- Mold removal if water is left untreated for too long
- Health risks for employees.
Water Damage Prevention
- Have a plumber inspect and maintain your water heater on a regular basis
- Replace hoses on any and all appliances at the first sign of wear and tear – before the manufacturer’s suggested timetable
- Pay attention to the toilets. Make sure they are flushing properly and refilling.
- Make sure everyone knows how to turn off the water supply in case of a surprise leak
- Listen out for noisy pipes or look for signs of moisture or corrosion on the walls or floor – this could mean there is an issue with the plumbing system.
- Raise all computers and electronic devices off the floor.
- Report leaks to the facility management as soon as possible
- Have an emergency plan to follow
- Stop the water flow or leak if possible.
- Move electronics and valuables to a safe place
- Contact your insurance company ASAP.
- Take picture and video of the damage
- Make reasonable repairs to protect from further damage.
- Start removing water – yourself or a restoration company [link]
- Record all interactions and purchases for reference later.
Don’t Let Water Damage Slow You Down.
If you are experiencing water damage to your office or business, call Reliable Restoration now to have it addressed quickly. Reliable Restoration is here for you 24/7/365 with a licensed, expert team that will restore your business back to pre-disaster condition quickly and affordably so you can get back to what you do best. Visit us at www.choosereliable.com or call us at: (678) 325-1633